Thursday 4 December 2014

4.12.14
On Tuesday Ron was very emotional and although I do understand that this is one of the effects that the stroke has had on him, I find it extremely difficult to deal with.  Both Ron and I have always been stiff upper lip, get on with it people and I was at a loss with what to do.   So much so that on Wednesday I called the Stroke Association for advice.   I spoke to a very sympathetic person who suggested some strategies.  She also gave me a telephone number for the local coordinator who she told me would probably come and see me and discuss various things.   I tried the number today but I have either written it down incorrectly or she has given up as the number was unobtainable.   I have sent an e-mail asking for clarification.

Yesterday afternoon when I visited Ron, he was asleep so I just sat next to him until Suzanne arrived when I woke him as I knew he would not want to miss her visit and Ron told us that a nurse has told him that he is going home on 22nd December.  This has sent my mind into a whir as no-one has been in touch with me about what alterations and arrangements need to be made to our home and this is only 3 weeks away.  In addition there has not been any significant improvement in Ron's ability in fact I think he is only just getting back to where he was when he left Addenbrookes.  One of the problems is that Ron is suffering with exhaustion, another effect of the stroke.  By the time he goes for his physio he has stood up several times - toilet, chair etc and this has tired him out and as he says he cannot give his all in the gym.  He explained this to the physio's yesterday and they gave him a leaflet on it and he said that he now feels less anxious as he understands that it is normal for people who have had strokes.  This exhaustion can go on for weeks or months and this must mean that he will not be able to benefit from the physio.

It is the mind things I find most difficult - anxiety and heightened emotions - I wonder how long these will last but of course no-one can tell me because no-one knows.

Another thing - I wish all the nurses were as kind as the best of them.

This all sounds as though I am going under with worry but that is not the case I always feel better writing it down and also I know that I will have all the help I need from our family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home