Tuesday 23 June 2015

Mid June - Is this summer?

Getting a bit fed up with this weather - the forecasts keep saying it is going to improve and be warmer but it doesn't and isn't - still no good moaning at least today is dry.  Group session this morning so Ron will be tired out this evening, he has got into a bad habit when walking of putting too much weight on his right hand holding the stick and not letting his left leg be weight bearing so I think it was particularly exhausting for him as they tried to correct him.  We took the scooter for the first time today and had a bit of a problem as I did not realise it was out of gear.  Of course some kind hearted guy came and offered to help and eventually he said " does this red lever haveanything to do with it" I felt a bit stupid but of course won't make that mistake again.  Another mistake I won't make again, at least I hope not, is leaving the battery at home charging in the living room.  Fortunately we were only a few miles down the road at Graham's so I was able to come home and get it but I did not really need to as Ron walked in on his own, sat on a dining chair and after dinner walked to the annexe, walked to the toilet and when we left walked from the annexe back to the car, ramp as well.   This was a great achievement especially as he had been feeling weak before we left home.

This outing was to celebrate Fathers Day and Elliot joined us for a lovely barbecue eaten indoors as the weather was again on the cool and dull side.

Last Thursday we went to our friends' new bungalow in Saffron Walden for an afternoon tea to celebrate Tony's birthday and to have a first look at their new to them home.   What an enormous undertaking to move house at over 80 and the poor dears seem to have so little help.  I only wish I could do more to help them but at the moment my circumstances just won't allow it.  I cannot tell you how grateful we are to our wonderful family each and every one of them have been marvelous, nothing has been too much trouble.   Incidentally the sun shone last Thursday!!

We have had some good news.   The community OT has at last made contact with our Herts Physio and has been given permission to work at home with us so with effect from this Thursday she will come and work with Ron, possibly bringing a trainee physio with her.   She plans to work with Ron for 3 months and I think this will be very helpful as however much I try to encourage Ron with his exercises, it it not the same as a professional.

We have made arrangements to meet our good friends John and Carolyn Smith for a 3 day break near Gloucester.  They will be on their way home to the North West from France and we will make the journey specially.  I am looking forward to it but at the same time I am a little nervous.  We have a busy weekend as on Saturday we are going to Andrea's as she is hosting a family get together as my niece and her husband are over here on holiday so I am looking forward to seeing her after 30 plus years and on Sunday we are going on a drive with RREC from Colchester Football club to the Orwell Hotel where we will have lunch.

Must go now Suzanne has come to visit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home